Back to Mnemosyne Index
Mnemosyne Memorization Tool
Mnemosyne,a spaced repetition application, is designed around the technique of memory cards whereby, through systemic presentation, the desired information is retained in the memory
Moreover, Mnemosyne, is equally free of advert/lock-in. It requires, before installing, the install of the freely available MS Visual Studio 2015.
To install card sets:
Within a Mnemosyne app running and with a Luganda Card Set downloaded, do the following:
- -Browse to card set location.
- -Click on card set file to select
- -Click 'Ok' to install
To create tags:
- - Cards:Browse
- - Click on a card: Right click on tags
- - Enter new tag name
- In browse cards, one can batch select and delete using tags.
- In browse cards, one can search for specific words, SQL wildcards '_' (ends with) and '%' (has these characters) can be use to match.
- In browse cards, its an easier environment to attach sound/image files.
- In 'edit' mode, one can use html tags, eg for bold, red text!
- In ‘Study’ tab->(De)activate cards, the unset tags will be saved as a set that can be named.
- Organize tag using '::' such mybook::lesson1
- place all required media eg. sound, image files (within their respective folders) within the folder:
C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Mnemosyne\default.db_media // best to create additional subfolders; such as images, sound.
- If importing a third-party card set, media files (if any) will automatically be placed in the media folder.
- Put no spaces within these files names. If necessary, put '-' as a separator.
- Replace the  delimiters shown below here with the correct html delimiters.
a. Adding images
Right-clicking in Edit mode on a text entry field brings up a file selection dialog that one can use to choose an image file. This generates usual 'img src' tags - subfolders can also be created in the media folder eg.[img src="images/somepic.jpg"]
b. Adding sounds
Right-clicking in Edit mode can also be used to insert sound files. This generates tags of the form
[audio src="mysoundfile.mp3"] ## the file in main directory (default.db_media).
To play the sound again, press CTRL+R in the main window. One can also play a part of the audio file, as audio tags support start and stop arguments, e.g. start="1" stop="2" will play the sound file from 1 to 2 seconds.
Note: Unlike a spreadsheet, one should use only one database (default.db) wherein numerous sets are defined by tags and subset further defined using '::'. Sets and subset are (de)activated under the tab 'Study'
1. While the Mnemosyne indicate pending cards, there is no need to attempt to ‘clear’ all of them – take them on at one’s own pace. Mnemosyne accommodates to the pace of the user.
2. A tips file on the above: Mnemosyne-Tips.pdf (2pg)